Background

How a hamlet built a fire department

North Rose received its charter from New York State in 1915 with twenty-three charter members. The early years were marked by limited equipment and the absence of a municipal water works — a gap that would prove costly within two years.

1915

The charter

Receiving a charter from New York State to establish a volunteer fire department meant formal, legal recognition — authorization to provide public fire protection, to operate under state law, to raise funds, to receive municipal support, and to gain access to insurance benefits for members.

During the early period the department underwent several name changes. The reasons are not fully understood, though it is reasonable to speculate that the department had not developed at a pace that met the community's needs — particularly in light of the 1917 fire. That reading is supported, at least in part, by the immediate purchase of the 1924 motor engine following the disbanding of the original company.

Fire Station #1, Caroline Street
Fire Station #1, Caroline Street
The roll

Twenty-three charter members

  • Barnes, Roy
  • Bowman, William
  • Brundridge, Clark
  • Calkins, W. H. (Wade Hampton)
  • Chaddock, W. B. (Winfield Bayrd)
  • Clark, George
  • Dickinson, A. C. (Arthur)
  • Dickinson, R. D. (Robert)
  • Drury, B. V. (Benjamin Valorus)
  • Gaffield, Charles
  • Galloway, Fletcher
  • Hennessey, J. F. (John Francis)
  • Lundergun, William
  • Mills, Robert
  • Miner, Howard C.
  • Peterson, C. O. (Clifford Olin)
  • Payne, Harry
  • Sears, Lawrence
  • Stone, Homer
  • Tibbets, D. Ross
  • Timmons, Frank
  • Warner, Hayes
  • Worden, Merritt
May 1915

Charter and early company officers

In May 1915 a meeting was held in the office of H. C. Miner, who — along with his father — was an enthusiastic advocate for forming a volunteer fire department in North Rose. Eight men attended that first gathering, and the following officers were elected: Chief R. D. Dickinson; Assistant Chief Clare Peterson; and Secretary-Treasurer H. C. Miner. One week later another meeting was held, and thirty-two men signed the roll. The new organization adopted the name North Rose Chemical Company.

The members voted to purchase uniforms, personally obligating themselves to the debt — a clear demonstration of their faith in the fledgling department. On July 4 of that same year the community held a large celebration which raised $500 above expenses, placing the department on solid financial footing.

On May 4, 1917, a Hook and Ladder Company was organized with twenty-seven men under President H. E. Patrick and Secretary Seth C. Oaks. Chief Dickinson and the original company welcomed the new unit warmly; wartime conditions soon forced the two companies to consolidate.

By 1919 the department had grown to fifty members and maintained a pleasant club room on the second floor of its Caroline Avenue building.

Officers, 1919
Chief
H. E. Patrick
First Assistant Chief
R. D. Dickinson
Second Assistant Chief
Ross McOmber
President
H. A. Tellier
Vice President
C. D. Dillingham
Recording Secretary
Charles Dean
Financial Secretary
Ray Harris
Treasurer
Lloyd Marshall
Trustees
B. V. Drury and James Lundergan
Drill Master
Rev. O. D. Dutcher
The Honor Roll of members who answered their country's call included George Ball Jr., L. K. Boyd, S. C. Oaks, Hayes Catchpole, Edwin Catchpole, Lieut. Dr. F. F. Roney, and Lieut. H. C. Miner. One member, Orrin Thompson, made the supreme sacrifice, passing away at the U.S. Naval Hospital in Brooklyn. He was known for his constant presence and cheerful disposition, and his loss was deeply felt by the department.
Community leadership

The industry behind the alarm

Prominent families and industry leaders sustained the financial base of North Rose through the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Farmers, developers, bankers, investors, cold storages, evaporators, canneries, wholesalers and merchants provided economic stability. Without these industries there would have been limited growth in North Rose — and growth and prosperity are precisely what fueled the need for a fire department. Investors and residents alike wanted to protect their families and their assets.

  • John Clarence Aldrich
    Farming; senior member of the Aldrich-Skutt Produce Co.
  • George Catchpole (1830–1902)
    Prominent fruit farmer; five terms as Republican Rose Supervisor.
  • Edwin Watson Catchpole (1858–1951)
    Farming — a "pioneer."
  • Charles Garlic (1863–1933)
    General store (1920), real estate (1910), general merchandise dealer.
  • Traver Henry Garlic (1893–1958)
    Merchant and postmaster.
  • Otis Albion Gray (1882–1970)
    Hardware and contracting.
  • John Martin Gray (1877–1968)
    Postmaster, retail hardware merchant.
  • Alvin Gray (1884–1921)
    Carpenter; built many houses in North Rose and surrounding communities.
  • John Hill (b. 1855, Ireland)
    Cold storage, farming, bank president, produce dealer.
  • Frank John Hill (1878–1942)
    Farmer, storage manager, proprietor of cold storage.
  • Lloyd Marshall
    General Storage and Ice Co., general manager and director.
  • Howard Miner
    Publishing and advocacy; editor of the Advocate.
  • M. E. Newberry
    Merchant and undertaker.
  • Charles Oaks
    Lumber and paints.
  • Orrin Alexander Skutt
    Red kidney beans and grains — drying and distribution.
  • Edward Adrian Salter (1880–1948)
    Cannery, bank president, honorary President of the Salter Hose Co.
  • George Henry Quereau (1846–1918)
    Retail merchant.
  • Frank Quereau
    Merchant and Huron farmer.
  • Ross Quereau
    Merchant.
  • Addison Weed
    Farmer, fruit grocer, bank president.
  • Joseph Donald Welch
    North Rose Cold Storage manager.
  • Thomas B. Welch
    Hardware, postmaster, bank president; pioneer of dried fruit processing.
  • Irwin Laverne Wilson (1853–1936)
    Farming; founder and builder of General Cold Storage and Ice.
North Rose Cold Storage founders

M. C. Hall, John Hill, Thomas Welch, Addison Weed

General Storage & Ice founders

I. Laverne Wilson, Edward Hay, Irving Colburn, Orrin A. Skutt — purchased North Rose Cold Storage in 1947.

1940 listing of merchants and landowners (source unknown)
1940 listing of merchants and landowners (source unknown)

Although farming remains the dominant economic force, the industrial and service sectors that once supported the community have steadily diminished or disappeared: general stores, retail furniture, oil and coal suppliers, fertilizer distribution, ladder manufacturing, banks, barber shops, canning factories, cold-storage facilities, drug stores, service stations, churches, diners, wholesale bean dealers and trucking companies.

Buildings once central to daily commerce now stand vacant or repurposed, and their absence has contributed to an observable decline in the commercial and social vitality that once defined North Rose.

1958–1959

The attempt to incorporate

In the late autumn of 1958 the members found themselves at a turning point. Their organization had long been a pillar of the community — a place where members gathered, friendships formed, and volunteers stood ready to help anyone who suffered loss or injury through fire. As one line in the record states, their purpose was "to promote a spirit of friendship and benevolence among its members and to assist the welfare of one another."

But now they wanted something more permanent: a legal foundation that would allow them to own land, build a social hall, and secure the future of their fellowship. In November 1958 their lawyer, George Thomas, drafted a request for incorporation and submitted it to Justice Charles B. Brasser of the Supreme Court Chambers, Wayne County.

A special meeting followed. President James Betts passed the motion to incorporate before thirteen members; they voted unanimously to proceed. The trustees would serve as directors. War bonds and insurance policies would be updated. The company would be known as North Rose Fire Department, Inc.

By December, Judge Brasser approved the certificate — conditionally. The Town Board of Rose needed to act under Section 11, Subsection 4 of the Membership Corporations Law, and the matter moved to the New York Secretary of State.

January brought complications. On January 9, 1959, the Department of State returned the certificate with three unmet requirements. The lawyer explained that incorporation was intended solely to hold property and build a social hall — "separate from Fire district and their firefighting functions." The State was unmoved: if the group did not intend to incorporate as a fire corporation, the certificate must be rewritten as a purely social organization. Another certificate was submitted on January 16 and rejected on January 19. The State recommended changing the name entirely.

Spring arrived with no resolution. Letters went back and forth — to Judge Brasser, to the Department of State, to the Town Board. On May 15, 1959, the department made yet another attempt. And then the trail goes quiet.

"It is unclear if the Department ever achieved incorporation."